Today I learned that British people call ladybugs “ladybirds”. And I was thinking “what?! they’re bugs not birds!” But supposedly entomologists call them “ladybird beetles” or “lady beetles”. (This is all according to this super reliable source).
Two tangential thoughts:
- British people also call bangs “fringe” – I remember learning that when I was part of the unfortunateevents.com forum where we discussed Lemony Snicket VFD theories and conspiracies and the site was mostly people from the UK because I guess all the Americans were on 667darkavenue and I told an emo girl who posted her selfie that she had cool bangs (you know she’s emo so they probably had red streaks or something) and she was like “what? you mean my fringe? you must be american”
- In high school when our teachers would reiterate the difference between a reliable source and Wikipedia I would still use it for my research papers but I would look at the list of the references and cite that instead (obviously I would read the actual reference to see if it was relevant – but it’s a good shortcut for finding the information you want – and that goes for PhD research too – read a relevant paper and then read every single other paper listed under references and so on and so forth world without end)
I looked up ladybugs after reading this post that had a picture of some at the end. I like the animal pictures on this blog so I recommend it if you’re into that sort of thing.
I generally like blogs concerning people in places with experiences completely different from mine. I’m so sheltered in this higher education liberal social justice warrior side of America.
Anyway, I’ve been avoiding facebook more because it’s boring but recently I’ve been seeing the BFF spam thing and I decided to look it up because tons of my friends comments where they type “BFF” on these spam posts have been showing up on my newsfeed.
It’s super fake. It’s strange because I’ve looked this thing up a few weeks ago when it first started showing up and there were absolutely no articles written about it then. I just assumed it was fake because the only way they would have that happen is by having facebook check how strong your password is every time you type “BFF” which seems so arbitrary and unnecessary since facebook would have used it’s own promotional posts to advertise it instead of some weird spammy page. Kind of like how you see facebook’s own posts in your newsfeed advertising “your memory from this day last year” or “your friendship with so and so”.
I’m pretty sure they would have it be an option under account settings instead that tells you if your password is strong with suggestions like add more special characters and numbers and capital letters or if you haven’t changed it in the past 10 years (that’s how old facebook is right? I remember people started joining when I was entering sophomore year in highschool)
Also – most of my friends are of the higher education liberal social justice warrior variety and are quick to type BFF in the comments section while putting down the crazies who believed in pizzagate. Reminds me of that post I wrote a long time ago concerning hypocrisy and political views.
Nominations that I keep meaning to get to but don’t ever do because I’m a procrastinator and this isn’t even “work” it’s just for fun so why am I procrastinating?
well right now I’m supposed to be working on research so OBVIOUSLY it’s about time I get to all those random blog award challenge nominations that I’ve been saving up for the past few weeks.
Quotey quote quote
Thank you to Wit and Whimsy for the Three Days Three Quotes challenge nomination.
1. Thank the person who nominated you.
2. Post a quote for three consecutive days (1 quote for each day).
3. Nominate three bloggers each day.
Fools stand on their island of opportunities and look toward another land. There is no other land; there is no other life but this.
– Henry David Thoreau
I had to open up my planner to find a good quote. I guess I liked it enough to write it out back on the week of Sept 3-9 2017. It was probably me feeling guilty about complaining about my life and how I’m not social enough or smart enough or wishing I had a different life because some people are so lucky to be able to do whatever they want but of course, it’s just me complaining and not doing.
Reminds me of my favorite book (The Basic Eight by Daniel Handler) – I think it’s my favorite because I liked the silly yuppie high school characters back when I read it in middle school and it was the first adult “Lemony Snicket” book I had read after becoming obsessed with the author. And I also had an affinity for opera and classic novels and poetry and I felt like I related somehow. Anyway there is a math teacher in the book and his motto is “Do Something” which is supposed to apply to both math and life. After years of math classes I can definitely say it applies very well to math and after years of battling procrastination (a word which here means “using a fancy word to excuse your laziness”) I would say it applies well to life as well. I guess that book did teach me something.
2 Liebster (a word which here means “sweetheart, beloved, darling” in German) Awards
hehehe I used to love the “a word which here means” parts of ASOUE (most of the words I already knew – bragging much? but also I used to read the dictionary for fun and some of my favorite finds were “sassafras” and “oubliette” just for the way they feel in your mouth – but I learned a lot of new words like “ersatz” and it was a good way to integrate humor because he would often use silly definitions)
If you haven’t encountered their blogs before I highly suggest you take a look.
Ok… here’s a ton of questions and answers and at the end I’ll nominate one set of people because I’m combining everything out of laziness and you all get the same questions because I’m not that creative (and also I kind of like the questions I asked in my last blogger award post so maybe I’ll reuse some of them).
Also just so everyone is clear – I don’t use any of these questions/answers as security questions for anything so don’t even think you can use them hahaha
Not According to Plan’s Questions
- Why did you start blogging?
I started using the Dayre app because I was a victim to sponsorship/ad/marketing on youtube (jk I wasn’t a “victim” – I was just genuinely interested in the idea of the app after Jenn Im featured it in a video and I had started following her because I read on our school newspage that she went to my university). And then I realized how much I liked writing and then I was picked as “editor’s pick” which made me more and less confident that people may actually enjoy reading what I was writing. And then they shut down and there was a way to transfer my posts to wordpress.
- What is your greatest inspiration in life and/or in writing?
staring up at the sky when it’s dark and seeing all the stars and realizing how small we are and how far we have come and how much there is to learn and knowing that I’m a part of the human race which is characterized by curiosity and I appreciate all of it
- Share something that didn’t turn out at all according to plan.
I never thought I would do a PhD yet here I am??? like how did this happen? I remember telling my parents I hated school back when I was a kid. I even made a glitter painting with the word school and a big red X over it.
- What do you do when you are afraid of trying something new?
I postpone it as long as possible
- What is your favorite breakfast food?
Eggs benedict (no ham)
- What is your favorite love song?
Idk if I have a favorite LOVE song but in the past week I’ve been enjoying Martha by Tom Waits because I listen to old man music.
- Who is your favorite author?
Hahaha I discussed this earlier in this same post
- What’s the best book you’ve read in the past year and why?
I really enjoyed “Surely you’re joking Mr. Feynman!” – lots of funny stories and mostly just Richard Feynman messing with people and picking random locks while working on top secret stuff.
- Where are you from?
- What do you want to be remembered for?
Helping advance human technology so we can travel to Mars and beyond and creating beautiful art that people enjoy and making as many animals feel happy and safe as possible.
Thought for Change’s Questions
- Who’s your favorite villain?
Recently I rewatched Season 1 of Jessica Jones and the idea of Kilgrave (the Purple Man) is terrifying.
- What’s your ultimate fear?
- What do you think about your first love now?
- If you are granted three wishes by God, what would you wish for?
For all the women in the world to have equal rights and opportunities as men. For all those who try and enforce otherwise (or any sort of unfair oppression against any group of people) to suffer some sort of terrible consequences. For everyone to respect animal lives and treat them kindly.
- If you were given a chance to rectify one of your mistakes what would it be?
Can it be a series of mistakes? Not studying harder in school. Not reaching out and making friends earlier in high school so that I didn’t have to “learn” how to make friends when I entered college.
- If you were to name yourself what name would you choose and why?
Idk I like the name my parents gave me and have often joked of naming my potential future daughter the same thing.
- What’s your favorite poem/book?
“The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock” by T.S. Eliot because I already mentioned my favorite book earlier in this blog post.
- If you were to choose an epitaph for your tombstone what would you choose?
- If you were given a choice between love or life what would you choose?
- What’s your favorite song and why?
“Trio No. 1 Op. 8 B Major Allegro” by Johannes Brahms (it’s just so beautiful and I have consistently enjoyed it from middle school onwards)
- What’s the quality that you think must be present in your life partner?
Open mindedness and a willingness to admit when you are wrong. I value this in everyone though.
Is it cheating that I skipped some questions? Maybe
More to come later including questions and nominations and other random thoughts. As usual me publishing this post doesn’t mean it’s the end of the post.
Here’s Athena and Willow being cute so that this post has at least one picture and doesn’t look awkward in my blog layout
Test print (I’ll be carving out more white space but printing before I do that gives a better contrast between the inked spaces and the carved out linoleum)
Carving out more white space